In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of Tao, every day something is dropped.

Less and less is done.
Until non-action is achieved.
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone.

The world is ruled by letting things take their course.
It cannot be ruled by interfering.

Tao Te Ching

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hypnobirthing - Book Review

Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method

Hypnobirthing proved to be a valuable tool for me when I was pregnant with my third baby. It clearly and compassionately deals with common issues in the lead up to labour, through the birthing process and beyond. A lot of the content of Hypnobirthing deals with releasing fear of childbirth by following guided breathing, self hynosis, stretching, and visualisation exercises.

The selection of a birth support team and other practical concerns such as writing a birth plan, perineal massage, breast feeding, birthing positions etc were covered in detail and with sensitivity.

Simplicity is paramount in the Mongan Method, as is a belief in the power of the mind to bring about a calm birth process. There was mention of a pain-free birth which is obtainable by using this method. I have heard accounts from people who claim to have been in a state of such deep relaxation during birth that they felt no discomfort. I followed the program throughout and whilst I felt calm, I certainly would not call my whole birthing experience serenely comfortable and pain free...it was amazingly beautiful and fulfilling though, so I walked away happy with gorgeous 9lb baby in arms :)

I would highly recommend using the visualisation and relaxation methods detailed in this book, they helped allay some feelings of anxiety I had about how I would manage the discomfort of labour. As always though, it was my inner resources and birth support team that really got me through the birthing process with calmness and relative ease.

Cynthia Marston

Details of the book are:

Mongan, Marie F, M.Ed., M.Hy.
Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method 3rd Ed. Dearfield Beach, Fl: Health Communications Inc., 2005.

IMAGE - HYPNOBIRTHING BOOK COVER